Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bravey Crockett and the Mystery of the Moving Rocks

Ok, so I'm not floundering after all. I've actually started to edit bits of the video I've shot, and am getting a really good idea of what I need to shoot to flesh this thing out. The working title for this project is, "Bravey Crockett and the Dirty Windshield".

But who knows, it could be called "An Afternoon at the Ice Capades" or something equally random next week. Not that my current working title is completely random, but a girl does change her mind. You don't even want to know how long it took me to come up with "Welcome, Human" as a title for my senior film...

I can't say I've ever gone into a project with a title in mind before. Believe me, this makes it rather difficult when sorting through Final Cut Pro files. The Final Cut file for this project is "desert world". They are all super vague like that. Do you know how many films I've shot on Coney Island? If you do, then you know how many Final Cut files I have that are titled, "Coney Island Rough Cut", "NicoleConey", or simply,
"Coney Island". When talking about Coney Island with my friend Jonathan Johnson he made a comment something like,
"We all know that's the key to your heart".
I couldn't have said it better myself.

But, I digress...

Currently I have a ten minute edit of a scene that will be in my film up on vimeo.
For all of you youtubers who would rather see entirely original content, I suggest you venture over there.

This scene was shot at Death Valley's racetrack, which is well known for its mysterious "moving rocks". When the playa is wet and the wind blows, these rocks glide across the surface leaving paths behind them. No one has ever seen the rocks actually move, or know how long it takes them to form these paths. Sadly though, it looks like some people have removed many of them and taken them home for "souvenirs" as there are many paths with no rocks at the end of them. Which is just silly, because these rocks have no significance in any other place.

Now if you like, you can watch the scene from my film. I'm still in the very early stages of editing, so constructive criticism is, as always, highly encouraged and happily accepted! Thanks and enjoy.


Bravey Crockett and the Mystery of the Moving Rocks from Nicole Melanson on Vimeo.

No comments: